Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Jane Arden's Wardrobe, 1942


From Sept. 20, 1942. The clothing isn't particularly glamorous in this cut-out, but I like it because the entire presentation conveys the unity that galvanized the U.S. during World War II. Everyone, rich or poor, black or white, from every class level, came together for the war effort. Jane Arden's maid is drawn with none of the racist caricature (i.e., exaggerated lips, bulging eyes, tattered clothing) so common in cartoons and comics of the era. I don't know if she had a name or was treated respectfully in the comic strip, but here Jane Arden's domestic is portrayed not as a buffoon but as an everyday "working girl" urging the sale of war bonds.

1 comment:

  1. I love all your posts, I want to print out all your paperdolls and play for hours, but I'm 37, and people might start to talk!
    But I am considering using some of them for making personal cards
    keep them coming
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete