Saturday, June 9, 2012

Tea time


Who among us has not poured a cup of tea for a favorite doll or teddy bear? A colorful scrap from the 1920s or 1930s, I imagine, since it is marked simply "Printed in Germany."



Tea time is one of the best ways to play at being a grown up: you're hosting a party, tending to your guests, thinking up congenial conversation, and holding a teacup just so.



It's hard to think of tea and not think of England. Here's the Queen Mother and King George VI with their daughters Margaret Rose and Elizabeth -- who of course just celebrated her Diamond Jubilee, 60 years on the throne. This is a postcard I found many years ago, unused and undated.


Some favorite writing paper; the flip side has fainter images than these, and makes a lovely background for a letter.

Check out Sepia Saturday to see what others are brewing from this week's theme:






8 comments:

  1. This awakens happy memories. Of cousre many hours were spent with a miniature tea service and and an array of dollies and teddies. Now my own grandchildren enjoy this. It’s a great way of encouraging language development. Lovely scraps and postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Queen has had several comments this week in our comments but this is the first photo to appear, I think and I've seen some writing paper similar to that you've shown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the cutest valentine ever. So perfect for this weeks theme. I would love to write a letter on that teatime stationery. But actually I haven't written a real letter in years. Email is ruining the stationery industry!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The finger on the teapot lid -- what a classic pose. That German print is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never served tea to my teddy bear... which possibly explains why I am now a dysfunctional adult.
    ;)~
    Lovely presentation. I doubt though Margareth Rose stuck to tea much, as a grown-up...
    I'm just saying!!
    Seen too much gossip magazines from my mother's, I guess...
    :D~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only have I never tilted a tea-pot for my Teddy, I had the embarrassment of having a fellow Sepia Saturday visit me the other day - all the way from America - and realised with shame that I did not have a tea-pot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember playing with a tea set but sure do remember getting and giving valentines. None quite as cute as yours, though.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I run across your blog while trying to find an expert on paper dolls. I recently purchased a book of paper dolls from a garage sale. I can't seem to find any info on them and was hoping you could help. The name is Juvenille Housekeeping Ready Cut Series Published by R.H.Russell Copywright 1898. All the paper dolls are still intact in the book except for a few. But I have them. If there is anyway you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks ~Kitty~

    ReplyDelete