Sunday, November 16, 2014

New York Times building, 1906


Times Square before it was Times Square. Astor Hotel in the far right distance. The Metropole Cafe  name lasted into the 1960s, although no doubt with different owners and purposes. As far as I can tell, the ad for Proctors above the Metropole (which might have been a small hotel at this time) is for a restaurant. This postcard has lines of red glitter glued to the front of the Times and Astor buildings, and the Metropole building, too.

Made in Germany, A.C. Bosselman & Co., New York.

2 comments:

  1. They put glitter on the card? Has it turned all weird and dark? I'm always fascinated that someone spent time putting glitter on cards. It usually doesn't age well and often has me shaking my head thinking, "Ummm…why?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has darkened with age, with bits of blue and red and purple still visible when the light hits. it But I kind of like it. Has a melancholy vibe that appeals to me. I'm amazed that the glitter has stayed on for more than 100 years. Some kind of turn-of-the-century super glue.

    ReplyDelete